Wednesday 21 November 2007

Sleep & Death

Pe filiera Bach - Breugel - Tarkovski îmi amintesc de rândurile lui Cervantesc din Don Quijote despre somn pomenite de Snaut şi citite de Chris în Solyaris-ul tarkovskian: "... but this I very well know, that while I am asleep, I feel neither hope nor despair; I am free from pain and insensible of glory. Now blessings light on him that first invented this same sleep: it covers a man all over, thoughts and all, like a cloak; it is meat for the hungry, drink for the thirsty, heat for the cold, and cold for the hot. It is the current coin that purchases all the pleasures of the world cheap; and the balance that sets the king and the shepherd, the fool and the wise man even. There is only one thing, which somebody once put into my head, that I dislike in sleep; it is that it resembles death; there is very little difference between a man in his first sleep, and a man in his last sleep." [Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote, Part II, Chapter LXVIII]

Franz Kafka: Don Quixote's misfortune is not his imagination, but Sancho Panza.”

No comments: