Saturday 24 November 2007

Mind the wording

I keep saying that I want to follow in the footsteps of James Joyce, who said he chose “silence, exile and cunning” in order to defend himself from the maddening world, but it seems I still have to work on in. Sometimes I seem to fall and engage in talks and disputes over issues that cannot be settled that easily. All in all: I still talk too much.
Whether my conversation with PS (just before the evening concerts for flute, piano & orchestra by Mihail Jora & Mozart) has been or not food for thought – only time will tell. But this I know: I do feel weary of such theological talk – it’s high time I started to nip it in the bud, for where do I expect it to lead? Nowhere. Or, as Leon Wieseltier put it (in Against Identity):

“Dacă nu mă pot explica acelor care nu sunt ca mine, îmi pierd plăcerea de a mă explica celor care sunt ca mine.”

I totally agree with Somerset Maugham, who wrote:

“It is a dangerous thing to order the lives of others and I have often wondered at the self-confidence of politicians, reformers and suchlike who are prepared to force, upon their fellows measures that must alter their manners, habits, and points of view. I have always hesitated to give advice, for how can one advise another how to act unless one knows that other as well as one knows oneself? Heaven knows, I know little enough of myself: I know nothing of others. We can only guess at the thoughts and emotions of our neighbours. Each one of us is a prisoner in a solitary tower and he communicates with the other prisoners, who form mankind, by conventional signs that have not quite the same meaning for them as for himself. And life, unfortunately, is something that you can lead but once; mistakes are often irreparable, and who am I that I should tell this one and that how he should lead it? Life is a difficult business and I have found it hard enough to make my own a complete and rounded thing; I have not been tempted to teach my neighbour what he should do with his.” (The Happy Man)

And I definitely do believe, like Horia Roman Patapievici:

“Trăim într-o ţară în care nu răul este la umbra binelui, ci binele este la umbra răului; în care răul e normal, iar binele e excepţia. “

“Pe Dumnezeu nu îl cauţi decât după ce l-ai găsit. Unde trebuie căutat ceea ce nu ai găsit niciodată ?”

“Forma tipică a aberaţiei activismului politic ortodoxist este, la noi, legionarismul, adică justificarea etnică şi religioasă a asasinatului politic.”

“Singurul lucru care trebuie făcut este ca preoţii să se învrednicească cu adevărat, iar comunitatea religioasă a laicilor să se formeze şi să fie fraternă, comunitară.”

“Kitsch-ul perfect al covoarelor, icoanelor şi obiectelor tehnice (difuzoare, lumânări electrice, reşouri etc.) din bisericile noastre îţi rupe inima. Să îl tolerezi nu înseamnă decât o concesie făcută falsităţii, nicidecum o pliere la ‘credinţa străbună’”

“De la teologii de azi aştept să ia în serios, fără obişnuita retorică a unei predanii nepricepute, provocarea modernităţii, ceea ce înseamnă realitatea unei societăţi atee populată cu creştini de toate nuanţele (în ţările unde omul alb mai este încă majoritar).”

“Ortodoxia, ideal vorbind, este un mod de a fi, un fel de a simţi şi de a te mişca, un mod de a răspândi şi unul de a primi miresmele, un mod de a fi în legătură cu lumea.”

“Nu mă regăsesc deloc în instituţia BOR. Dacă vă referiţi la trupul credincioşilor şi efectuarea tainelor, particip la ea în mod moderat. Instituţia numită BOR nu îmi stârneşte respect şi, de aceea, nu am încredere în ea qua instituţie.Preoţii noştri nu ştiu să fie împreună cu tine: ei de călăresc neglijent, de la distanţă, fără să se uite la tine, la persoana ta vie, concretă, irepetabilă şi fragilă – dar mereu cu ochii la banii tăi, în care se spurcă aproape toţi.”

“Asceza nu e numai bătutul mătăniilor. Şi căsnicia e o asceză. Filiaţia e o asceză. Boala e o asceză. Viaţa de om izgonit din paradiso terrestre e asceză. De aceea, la disperarea de a fi om există o singură reţetă: fii plin, fii viu, fii prezent (=creator) şi caută Prezenţa.”

So: silence, please + mind your wording, Mr. Teacher.

No comments: